Knowledge and advance preparation are essential to a successful emergency response effort. The following suggestions can aide you in developing a pipeline emergency plan.
IDENTIFY nearby pipelines using online mapping tools as well as observing the presence of pipeline markers and collect the following information:
- The pipeline company name(s)
- The emergency and non-emergency phone numbers for the pipeline company
- The product being transported in the pipeline(s) and hazards associated with the product(s)
- The signs of a pipeline leak for all the products (what a pipeline leak would look like, sound like, and smell like)
- The approximate location of the pipeline (include map if possible)
- The recommended evacuation distance based on the impact radius of the pipeline
USE the information you have gathered in advance to collaborate with others including representatives from the appropriate pipeline companies, local first responder agencies and your colleagues or safety teams.
CONDUCT emergency scenarios, drills or tabletop exercises simulating a pipeline incident given the unique situation of your school, nearby pipelines, bus routes, access roads and other critical features and dynamics as you do with other types of emergencies.
INCLUDE the brochure and other downloads available at www.schoolpipelinesafety.org in your Emergency Operations Plan binder. Be sure to search the website for your school name to determine if a local pipeline company has sponsored your school to provide customized resources.